Made here. Loved everywhere.
L'anse Aux Meadows is an archaeological site on the northernmost tip of Newfoundland. Discovered in 1960, it is the most famous site of a Norse/Viking settlement in North America outside Greenland.
The earliest European presence in Port Aux Choix dates to the 16th century when the town received its name, Portuchoa (Portutxoa), meanig "the little port" from Basque fishermen who operated in the area. Port Aux Choix is a National Historic Site of Canada, and the community is regarded as one of the richest archeological finds in North America.
The Arches Provincial Park is a public park on the Western Coastline of Newfoundland, that features a photogenic rock formation. The rock formation is composed of Ordovician aged dolomitic conglomerates of the Daniel's Harbour Member of the Cow Head Group which has been eroded by sea wave action.
The second largest National Park in Atlantic Canada located on the West Coast of Newfoundland. The park takes its name from Newfoundland's second-highest mountain peak located within the park. It's French meaning is "large mountain standing alone", or more literally "great sombre".
A series of mountains along the West Coast of Newfoundland. The Long Range Mountains also form the Northern most section of the Appalachian chain on the Eastern seaboard of North America.
The Bay of Islands is an extensive inlet located on the West Coast of Newfoundland. It is also a sub-basin of the Gulf of St. Lawrence and is named for the many small islands that are scattered throughout it.
Humber Valley is a region in the Western part of Newfoundland formed by the Humber River. It is considered one of the most picturesque areas of the province and features the Humber Valley Golf Resort.
Port Aux Port Peninsula is roughly triangular in shape and located on the Western edge of the heavily eroded Appalachain Mountain chain, which runs along Newfoundland's West Coast. This area represents the most varied ethnic and linguistic mix in the entire island of Newfoundland, including Mi'kmaq families.
The name originated because of extremely high winds, often well in excess of hurricane force. When the Newfoundland Railway was in operation, these winds would occasionally blow railway cars off the narrow gauge trains completely off the track.
The Codroy Valley is a glacial valley formed in the Anguille Mountains on theSouthwestern part of Newfoundland. Filled with history and beauty, it is a natural haven for bird watchers, travellers and adventurers.
Sandbanks Provincial Park is named for its undulating sand dunes and long expanses of flat, sandy beaches. It is a beautiful, historic location with plenty to offer from camping, swimming, hiking and more!
Often translated locally as either Bay of Hope or Bay of Despair, this town was shaped from the inner reaches of a large glacial carved fjord in the Gulf of St. Lawrence on the South Coast of Newfoundland.
Home to one of the oldest and largest fishing centres on the South Coast of Newfoundland. To this day, Harbour Breton continues to thrive off of the fishing industry along with many other modern facilities.
A large natural bay located in the Gulf of St. Lawrence on the South Coast of Newfoundland. It is believed that the name of Fortune Bay is derived from the Portuguese word "fortuna", meaning place of good fortune. It is also one of the oldest surviving names in Newfoundland when appeared on Majollo's map from 1527.
A area containing the remains of both French and British fortifications, overlooking the town of Placentia. Castle Hill is a National Historic Site of Canada, designated in 1968.
Located at the Southern tip of the South Western arm of the Avalon Peninsula of Newfoundland, Cape St. Mary's is one of the most well known capes in the province. There is a folk song written by Otto P. Kelland about the cape titled "Let Me Fish Off Cape St. Mary's".
A small headland on the Avalon Peninsula of Newfoundland. The location takes it's name from sailors mistaking their coordinates for that of Cape Race. Being a typically foggy area, a simple mistake could end with deadly results when turning North, as they would immediately run in to a treacherous rocks.
La Manche is a Provincial Park that was first opened to the public in August 1966. The park was established because of the scenic La Manche Valley, wide spread vegetation and well diverse bird life. Over 50 different species have been identified in the park.
A Historic Site that overlooks the St. John's harbour. It was host to the final battle of the Seven Years' War in 1792 when then French surrendered St. John's to a British force. Due to its strategic placement fortifications have been placed on the hill since the mid 17th century.
A bay on the South East Coast of Newfoundland. It's name comes from the Portuguese Baía da Conceicao or Baia de Comceicaand was presumably given in honour of the Feast of the Conception, December 8th. The name first appears on the Oliveriana (pesaro) map of around 1504-1505.
A rural seashore community located on the Eastern Avalon Peninsula of Newfoundland. The community is one of the oldest in Newfoundland and has a very rich history. It was founded by the Portuguese and was one of the first villages established in the New World. It was also here that the giant squid or Kraken of legend was discovered and documented.
A large bay on the Northeastern Coast of Newfoundland and is famous as the location of a "nearly intact" specimen of giant squid found there on September 24th, 1877.
Located at the Northeastern tip of the Bonavista Peninsula, which separates Trinity Bay to the South from Bonavista Bay to the North. It is said that John Cabot may have landed at this site in June 1497 with his second expedition to North America.
Terra Nova was the first National Park in Newfoundland and Labrador and was created in 1957. It takes it's name from the Latin name for Newfoundland; it is also the original Portuguese name given to the region.
New World Island is an island in Norte Dame Bay, just off the Coast of Newfoundland. A prevailing theory holds that the island's name commemorates the 1523-24 expedition of Giovanni da Verrazzano that visited the coast and established it to be part of the New Word rather than Asia.
Gander Lake is located in the central part of Newfoundland and is the third-largest lake in the province.
Exploits River flows through Exploits Valley in the central part of Newfoundland and is the second longest river in the province. The origin of the name, which appeared as early as James Cook's charts of 1774, is unknown.
A town located on the Northeast Coast of Newfoundland. It existed as a small community in the late 1800's to early 1900's until the discovery of asbestos and other bodies of copper, lead, zinc and gold in the mid-1950's when the town underwent major expansions. In 1958, Baie Verte was incorporated as a town.